Enter for a chance to win a 65" VIZIO SmartCast™ P-Series™ Display featuring Dolby Vision high dynamic range.
Participation in the 2017 “VIZIO® + Dolby Vision® Filmmaker Challenge” a contest for the AFI Conservatory Film School (“Contest”) constitutes your agreement to be bound by these VIZIO® + Dolby Vision® Filmmaker Challenge Official Rules (“Official Rules”).
1. Contest Period. The Contest commences at 12:01 AM Pacific Time (“PT”) on June 22, 2017 and ends at 11:59 PM PT on October 9, 2017 (“Contest Period”). All Contest entries must be received by 11:59 PM PT on June 30, 2017. Entries submitted past the expiration of the Contest Period will not be accepted and will be destroyed. Judging will take place from late June through the middle of July 2017 (“Judging Period”). Public voting will take place in or about September 2017 (“Voting Period”), with the top 5 winners’ films posted online for public voting on or about the first week of September 2017. The grand prize winner will be announced on or about October 9, 2017.
2. Co-Sponsors. The Contest is sponsored by VIZIO, Inc. and Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (“Sponsors”). The Sponsors will receive film clips directly from the AFI Conservatory film school, as such clips are created for the AFI Conservatory by second-year AFI ‘Fellow’ students. After AFI has determined which film clips are eligible for this Contest and the students’ have completed an entry to establish the participants’ acceptance of entering into the Contest as described in these Official Rules, the Sponsors will receive the film clips. “AFI” is the American Film Institute.
3. Eligibility. Participation is open only to living individual currently-enrolled second-year ‘Fellow’ students of the AFI Conservatory film school, located at 2021 North Western Avenue, in Los Angeles, California, who reside in California, and who are at least 18 years of age or older (each a “participant” or “eligible filmmaker”). VOID OUTSIDE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA AND WHERE PROHIBITED AND RESTRICTED BY LAW.
Eligibility does not include: Employees, officers and directors of Sponsors and their respective subsidiaries, members, affiliates, advertising, promotion and web design agencies, and their respective affiliates, assigns or representatives; and any other individuals or entities associated with the development, administration, promotion, advertising, execution of, or supply to this Contest (collectively, “Contest Entities”); and family members or persons living in the same household as such individuals, whether related or not, are not eligible to participate or win. Participation in this Contest constitutes your agreement to be bound by these Official Rules.
Film Clips will be considered eligible by AFI that meet the requirements of the Submission Guidelines set forth in Section 5(a) below.
4. How to Enter. To enter and confirm your film clip’s entry into the Contest, each participant must sign an entry form document in paper during the Contest Period. Complete and submit the “VIZIO + Dolby Vision Filmmaker Challenge” entry form by filling out your name, e-mail address, birthdate, zip code; including your consent to AFI’s submission of your film via the entry form with an accompanying caption (not to exceed 200 characters in length) of your biographical information ‘About the Filmmaker’ and a written summary of the film not to exceed 100 characters in length; and sign to agree and accept these Official Rules and provide the entry to AFI, who will submit each eligible entry to Sponsors if all Entry requirements and submissions have been completed by the participant and submitted to AFI no later than 11:59 PM PT on June 30, 2017 (collectively, “Entry”). For any Entry that does not meet the above specifications or does not comply with these Official Rules, such Entry may be disqualified in Sponsors’ sole discretion.
There is a limit of a total of one (1) Entry per eligible filmmaker for the duration of the Contest Period. Multiple Entries from one person are not permitted. Any participant who attempts to participate under multiple identities or uses any device or artifice to enter multiple times in violation of applicable Entry limitations may be disqualified. In the event of a dispute over who submitted an Entry, the eligible filmmaker who is the authorized account holder (natural living person) of his/her e-mail account provided in connection with the Entry, as of the time of Entry, will be deemed to be the participant. In the event of a dispute about the identity of a participant, Sponsors may require that the potential winner provide proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address and/or password associated with the Entry. BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, ALL PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HIS/HER ENTRY MAY BE POSTED ON SPONSORS’ WEBSITES, IN SPONSORS’ SOLE DISCRETION.
Proof of submission of an Entry shall not be deemed proof of receipt by Sponsors. VIZIO, Inc.’s computer is the official time keeping device for the Contest. Once submitted, Entries will not be acknowledged or returned. With submission of an Entry, the participant may receive promotional or marketing-related emails from Sponsors. The participant may opt out of receiving marketing communications from Sponsors by unsubscribing using the link on any email received from Sponsors. By entering the Contest, each participant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsors in connection with the Contest, whose decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all of the requirements in these Official Rules.
5. Submission License & Guidelines. All Entries, including without limitation each Entry’s film and caption submissions, are licensed to Sponsors, who may reprint, display or reproduce the Entry in whole or in part, to be featured on VIZIO and/or Dolby Laboratories websites, promotions and marketing in a manner that is directly related to this Contest or to AFI Fest 2017, and in connection with demos, retail displays or at events with a VIZIO and/or Dolby Vision end card or the like. AFI shall have final approval on any reprinted, reproduced, or edited Entry and its use, which will not be unreasonably withheld or delayed. All participants acknowledge and agree that submission of the Entry, with the film clip and caption, grants Sponsors and their agents the worldwide, non-exclusive license and right to reproduce, distribute, perform, display, copy and reproduce stills of, and/or otherwise use the submission in a manner directly related to this Contest or the AFI Fest 2017, the Entry in whole or in part in any way, in any and all media now known or hereafter developed, without consideration to the participant, except where prohibited by law beginning once the Entry is received by Sponsors through June 30, 2019 (”License Term”). Further, to the extent that the participant may have moral rights in the Entry submitted, he/she hereby waives all such moral rights in favor of Sponsors. In addition, all participants acknowledge and agree that his/her Entry complies with the AFI Conservatory Thesis Licensing Policy document, “Second Year Production Rights and Clearances.”
(a) Submission Guidelines. In order for the Entry to be considered for posting on the internet by Sponsors and being viewed by the public at large for voting, the Entry must not do any of the following:
(b) ENTRIES POSTED TO THE VIZIO OR DOLBY LABORATORIES WEBSITE ARE THE VIEWS/OPINIONS OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT AND DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF SPONSORS IN ANY MANNER. Any waiver of any obligation hereunder by Sponsors does not constitute a general waiver of any obligation to participants. Sponsors reserve the right to waive the Contest Entry requirements set forth herein in their reasonable discretion. Sponsors reserve the right, in their reasonable discretion, during or upon completion of the Contest Period, to request that any participant resubmit his or her Entry, which fails to comply with the Contest requirements prior to any judging/ voting period.
(c) By submitting an Entry, you agree that your submission is gratuitous and made without restriction, will not place Sponsors under any obligation, and that Sponsors are free to disclose or otherwise disclose the ideas contained in the Entry on a non-confidential basis to anyone without any additional compensation to you or anyone involved in the production of the film. You acknowledge that, by acceptance of your Entry, Sponsors do not waive any rights to use similar or related ideas previously known to Sponsors, or developed by their employees, or obtained from sources other than you. Sponsors reserve the right to, and may or may not, monitor or screen Entries prior to posting them to their websites. By entering, you acknowledge that Sponsors have no obligation to use or post any Entry (including the film clip and caption) you submit. Participants’ names may be published with the Entry submission.
(d) BY SUBMITTING AN ENTRY, ALL PARTICIPANTS ACKNOWLEDGE THAT HIS/HER ENTRY MAY BE POSTED ON SPONSORS’ WEBSITES, IN SPONSORS’ SOLE DISCRETION DURING THE LICENSE TERM.
(e) By submitting an Entry and, as applicable, except for/or in addition to the rights assigned by you to AFI, you warrant and represent that it: (1) is your original work, (2) has not been previously published, (3) has not won previous awards, (4) does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual property or other rights of any other person or entity, (5) that you have obtained permission from any other person(s) whose name(s) or likeness(es) are used in the Entry, and (6) that publication of the Entry via various media including internet posting, will not infringe on or misappropriate any third party rights. Any such participant will indemnify and hold harmless Sponsors from any claims to the contrary to the above representations. Any participant whose Entry includes likenesses of third parties or contains elements not owned by the participant (such as, but not limited to, depictions of persons, buildings, trademarks or logos) must be able to provide legal releases for such use including Sponsors’ use of such film clip, in a form satisfactory to AFI, or Sponsors upon request, prior to award of the prize(s) and/or naming of a participant as a potential winner.
(f) By accepting a prize, the winner agrees that his/her Entry is licensed to Sponsors under the Copyright laws of the United States, including but not limited to all copyright and trademark rights which he or she may have, in the United States and worldwide, therein, for consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged. Any prize winner hereby waives in favor of Sponsors, all rights of “Droit Moral” or “Moral Rights of Authors” or any similar rights or principles of law that the prize winner may now or later have to their Entry. Upon request of Sponsors, the prize winner shall execute and deliver an additional license agreement, as may be solely deemed by Sponsors, reasonably necessary to establish the rights to use the Entry and of the copyrights licensed and “Moral Rights of Authors” waived/consented to under these Official Rules. Should Sponsors fail to request such license agreement as stated, that shall not be deemed a waiver of Sponsors’ rights and Sponsors may at a later time request the license grant. 6. Selection of Top 5 Prize Winners: Judging & Voting Periods. During the Judging Period, the Entries sent to VIZIO by AFI shall be submitted to a panel experienced industry professionals of three (3) judges selected by Sponsors (“initial judges”), who shall select the top 5 Entries prize winners (“Top 5 Prize Winners”) with the highest scores, based on the Judging Criteria set forth in Section 7 below. Then, one-time re-grading of the Top 5 Entries in Dolby Vision will be provided by Sponsor, Dolby Laboratories, Inc. or its third party supplier, to the AFI Conservatory, through Dolby’s facility in Burbank, California. The re-graded Top 5 Entries will then be presented to a new panel of judges selected by Sponsors who are industry professionals with creative or technical expertise and experience (“final judges”), who will re-judge the Top 5 Entries based on the Judging Criteria set forth in Section 7 below, to assign each of the Top 5 Entries a final judges score. Both panels of judges are collectively referred to as the “judges.”
During the Voting Period, the Top 5 Entries will be posted online at a VIZIO Website to be determined in or about September of 2017 (“Voting Site”) for public viewing. The public will be invited to visit the Voting Site to vote for the grand prize winning Entry among the top 5 Entries. Voters will be asked to vote for the Entry they believe is most compelling.
7. Judging Criteria. During the Judging Period, the Top 5 Prize Winners will be selected by the initial judges from among the eligible Entries received based on the following judging criteria. The re-graded Top 5 Entries will be re-judged by the final judges, also based on the following judging criteria:
In the event of a tie, the tied participants will be re-judged by an additional judge who will serve as a tie-breaker using the same criteria as outlined herein. AFI and the Sponsors’ decisions on all matters relating to this Contest are final and binding in all respects pertaining to this Contest. The judges may receive promotional product in gratitude for their time spent on judging after the Contest Period.
8. Grand Prize Winner Selection – Voting Phase. After the Judging and Voting Periods have ended, on or about October 9, 2017, one (1) grand prize winner will be selected from the Top 5 Prize Winners’ top 5 Entries, based on the total score of the top 5 Entries as described below. The grand prize winner will receive the honorary ‘VIZIO + Dolby Vision Cinematography Award’ at AFI Fest 2017. The votes received by each of the Top 5 Entries during the Voting Period will be worth ten percent (10%), to be added to the final judges’ score for a final total score. The one Entry of the top 5 Entries with the highest score shall be the “Grand Prize Winner.” The remaining 4 Entries who are not selected as the Grand Prize Winner shall be the “Runner-up Prize Winners.”
9. Prizes – Top 5 Prize Winners. The Top 5 Prize Winners will receive an invitation to AFI Fest 2017 in the fall of 2017. The Grand Prize Winner may be invited to participate on a panel in VIZIO, Inc’s lounge that will be created, managed and curated by VIZIO. Transportation and any per-diem amounts for any visit to a Dolby or other post production facility or attendance at AFI FEST 2017 are not included. Value of the foregoing items or visits to the Top 5 Prize Winners is $0.00. The Runner-up Prize Winners will each receive one (1) cash prize of one thousand dollars ($1,000) (the “Runner-up Prizes”). Collectively, the value of the Runner-up Prizes is four thousand dollars ($4,000).
Grand Prize Winner: The Grand Prize Winner will receive one (1) VIZIO SmartCast™ M-Series™ 50” Class Ultra HD HDR Home Theater Display, Model #M50-E1, with an Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of $599.99; one (1) 36” 5.1 VIZIO SmartCast™ Wireless Sound Bar System, Model #SB3651-E6, with an ARV of $249.99; and one (1) cash prize of five thousand dollars (collectively, the ”Grand Prize”). Total ARV of the Grand Prize is USD $5,849.98.
The Runner-up Prizes and the Grand Prize are collectively the ”Prizes”.
Total ARV of the Grand Prize and all Prizes is approximately USD $9,849.98. The Grand Prize Winner and the Runner-up Prize Winners are each a “Prize Winner”.
The ARV of the Prizes, especially retail prices of electronic devices, may fluctuate and change between the date of commencement of the Contest and the date that the prize is awarded or redeemed. Prize Winners will not receive the difference between actual and approximate retail values. Representatives of a Sponsor will arrange to ship any tangible prizes to the Prize Winners after the Prize Winners have been announced, and the Prize Winners shall ensure that his/her residence is accessible for the delivery to a physical address (P.O. Boxes not acceptable, signature required) of such Prize based on a confirmed date between a Sponsor and the Prize Winners.
Prizes may not be assigned, transferred, changed or redeemed for cash, except at the sole discretion of Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right to substitute a prize for one of equal or greater value if the designated prize should become unavailable for any reason.
Prize winners must provide an address within the United States that can accept delivery of the television as the Prize.
10. Taxes. Sponsors shall pay the approximate federal, state, county and city taxes, as applicable and if any, incurred by the Prize Winners for receipt of each Prize. The Prize Winners shall be responsible for all other fees and expenses not specified herein associated with the receipt and use of each Prize. The Prize Winners will be required to cooperate with Sponsors to complete and submit an IRS Form W-9 with his or her social security number or the equivalent for receipt of each Prize. Failure to submit a complete W-9 or equivalent will result in forfeiture of the Prize. The Prize value will be reported to the IRS and the California Franchise Tax Board by a Sponsor. The prize is awarded “AS IS” and WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
11. Winner Notification. The Prize Winners will be notified by e-mail and/or phone after the date listed in Section 8. If a Prize Winner notification is returned as undeliverable or a Prize Winner cannot be reached, a potential Prize Winner is ineligible, or a Prize Winner declines the Prize, the Prize will be awarded to the next highest scoring Entry. Prize Winners are subject to verification, including verification of age. Sponsors are not responsible for any change of email address, mailing address and/or telephone number of participants. P.O. Boxes are not acceptable as mailing addresses. Awarding of Prize is subject to verification of the Prize Winners’ eligibility and full compliance with these Official Rules.
As a condition of accepting the Prize, the Prize Winners must respond to a Sponsor’s notification of winning within 48 hours from the time of notification, and must: (a) execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability and Publicity Release document within five (5) business day(s) from a Prize Winner’s written confirmation of winning; and (b) provide Sponsors with his/her social security number and a copy of a valid government issued photo identification along with the above Affidavit document. Failure to sign and return the Affidavit will result in forfeiture of the Prize. Failure to return all required documents in this time period may result in the potential winner being disqualified and an alternate winner being selected. Any unclaimed and/unused portion of a Prize will be forfeited and will not be substituted, nor will there be any refund for any unclaimed and/or unused portion of a Prize.
12. General: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY.
A. Contest Cancellation. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion to cancel, terminate or suspend this Contest, or any portion thereof, should virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes beyond the control of Sponsors corrupt or impair the administration, integrity or security of the Contest. The Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, officers, directors, partners, principals, partnerships, employees or agents are not responsible for hardware, software or telephone failures of any kind, traffic congestion on the Internet, lost network connections, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions, whether caused by Sponsors, participants or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest or by technical or human error that may occur and/or that may damage a participant's system or limit a participant’s ability to participate and/or redeem a Prize in the Contest. Sponsors reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the Contest, violates these Official Rules, or otherwise engages in fraudulent or offensive conduct with respect to this Contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PARTICIPANTS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.
B. Waiver. Sponsors’ failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Should any provision of these Official Rules be deemed unenforceable or invalid, the other provisions of these Official Rules shall remain in full force and effect. In the event that this Contest is challenged by any legal or regulatory authority (including but not limited to any federal or provincial or state governmental authority), Sponsors reserve the right to discontinue or modify the Contest, as applicable, or to disqualify any participants residing in any affected geographic areas, as applicable. In such event, Sponsors shall have no liability to any participants who are disqualified due to such an action.
D. Publicity: Unless prohibited by law, acceptance of a Prize constitutes permission for Sponsors and their designees to use a Prize Winner’s name, voice, image, likeness, photographs, statements, biographical information and any other personal characteristics, in any and all media now or hereafter known, for any purpose, including without limitation marketing, promotional and/or publicity purposes, without additional compensation to the Prize Winner.
Except where prohibited, the Prize Winners must be available for interviews and photos, on dates and times between June 30, 2017 and November 30, 2017 that are mutually agreeable by the Prize Winner and the Sponsors, for release in national and regional television, newspapers, magazines, and Sponsors’ marketing and promotional materials in all mediums including but not limited to www.vizio.com and www.dolby.com.
E. Release of Liability: Unless prohibited by law, by participating all participants agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsors and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any and all liabilities, claims, judgments, injuries, damages, expenses, or losses whatsoever, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in the Contest, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of the prize or participation in any Contest-related activity and for any claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. Some jurisdictions do not allow such releases or indemnity, so the above may not apply to you.
F. Third Party Terms and Conditions: The Prizes may be subject to additional terms, conditions and restrictions of third party providers, including but not limited to access to the Internet. You acknowledge and agree that Sponsors will not be responsible for any agreement between you and such third party providers or any content, applications or software provided by such third parties.
G. California Law: Except where prohibited, by participating each participant agrees that all issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of participant(s) and Sponsors and their agents shall be governed by and construed exclusively in accordance with the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Contest, each participant agrees that: (i) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, or awarding of the Prizes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and (ii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Contest but in no event attorneys’ fees; and (iii) under no circumstances will any participant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. Some jurisdictions do not allow e limitations or exclusion of liability for incidental or consequential damages, so the above may not apply to you.
13. Request for Winner List: For the Prize Winners List, send a self-addressed stamped envelope by September 30, 2017 to: AFI Conservatory Film Contest, 39 Tesla, Irvine, CA 92618, USA. Prize Winners List will be available after October 9, 2017.
14. Sponsors: VIZIO, Inc., 39 Tesla, Irvine, CA 92618; and Dolby Laboratories, Inc., 1275 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103. American Film Institute, AFI Conservatory Film School, AFI Fest 2017 and any related entities are not sponsors of this Contest. This Contest is also in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any other entity to which the Contest or the Prizes are related.
© 2017 VIZIO, Inc. The V Logo, VIZIO, VIZIO SmartCast and all names, logos and phrases are registered or unregistered trademarks of VIZIO, Inc. The DOLBY, DOLBY VISION and all names, logos and phrases are registered or unregistered trademarks of Dolby Laboratories, Inc. All other marks are the properties of their respective owners. All rights reserved.
Recognizing the next generation of storytellers with new advancements in filmmaking.
Watch. Vote. Win.
Enter for a chance to win a 65" VIZIO SmartCast™ P-Series™ Display featuring Dolby Vision high dynamic range.
Win a 65” VIZIO SmartCast™ P-Series™ Display featuring Dolby Vision high dynamic range.
Sign in to myVIZIO to receive up to
100 VIZIO Fandemonium points per day for voting.
These videos may contain content that some viewers may find disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised.